Welcome to the 2012 WINTER VOLLEYBALL TOURNAMENT!
POINTS OF EMPHASIS
5. Teams are responsible for bringing Fist Aid Kits and ice packs to every game in case of injuries.
6. Teams must assist the Referee in setup and tear down of nets.
MEMBERSHIP LIST ELIGIBILITY
TEAM MEMBERSHIP LISTS: consist of players with a completed waiver filed in the League Office. ONLY
players on a Membership list IN THE POSSESSION OF YOUR LEAGUE OFFICIAL are eligible to
participate. Players not so listed are ineligible and will be DENIED participation on site – NO EXCEPTIONS.
ATTORNEYS: A) Submit Driver’s License AND B) VERIFICATION: Submit State Bar Card
LAW SCHOOL STUDENTS: Submit Law School ID
EMPLOYEES: A) Submit Driver’s License AND B) VERIFICATION BY HR MGR (bottom of waiver)
LANDAU LAWYERS LEAGUE PLAYERS CODE OF CONDUCT
THE LANDAU LAWYERS LEAGUE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REFUSE PARTICIPATION TO ANY PLAYER OR TEAM, AT THE DISCRETION OF THE LEAGUE COMMISSIONER AND/OR BOARD OF DIRECTORS, RECOGNIZING IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE TEAM CAPTAINS TO HELP ENFORCE THE FOLLOWING RULES:
OFFICIALS’ DECISIONS ON PLAYERS/SPECTATORS ACTIONS ARE FINAL-CANNOT BE PROTESTED!
1. NO PLAYER SHALL: Refuse to abide by officials’ decision. Only the Captain may discuss rules with the official.
2. NO PLAYER SHALL: Use profane, obscene or vulgar language or verbally attack another player, official, director or spectator.
3. NO PLAYER SHALL: Be guilty of physical attack as an aggressor, upon any player, official, director or spectator. Anyone intentionally striking another person shall be banned from the League permanently.
4. NO PLAYER SHALL: Be guilty of objectionable behavior such as throwing balls, bats, gloves or other forceful action such as kicking walls or balls.
5. NO PLAYER SHALL: Appear on the court/field of play at any time in an intoxicated condition or smelling of alcohol. Neither shall they bring alcoholic beverages to premises nor drink on grounds/parking lots. DRUGS ARE FORBIDDEN ON SITES. Infractors will be permanently banned from the League.
NOTE: The term “PLAYER” shall apply to ALL TEAM PERSONNEL, such as game participants, team captains, scorekeepers, etc.
The term “OFFICIAL” shall apply to REFEREES, TIMERS/SCORERS AND UMPIRES receiving payment from the League.
The term “SPECTATOR” shall apply to ALL INTERESTED PARTIES who watch and have a relationship with your team. The term “DIRECTOR” shall apply to SCHOOL/PARK REPRESENTATIVES AT THE SITE
CAPTAIN’S RESPONSIBILITY - ALL CAPTAINS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR MAINTAINING THEIR TEAMS’/SPECTATORS’ DISCIPLINE AS WELL AS SUPPORTING OFFICIALS’ DECISIONS AT THE GAME. CAPTAINS IN VIOLATION OF RULES 1-6 ABOVE CAN NO LONGER HOLD THEIR CAPTAINCY POSITION.
PENALTIES - THE OFFICIAL AT THE GAME DETERMINES PENALTIES FOR AN INFRACTION OF RULES 1- 6 ABOVE.
EJECTIONS – THE OFFICIAL HAS THE AUTHORITY TO EJECT A PLAYER, WITHOUT WARNING, FOR UNSPORTSMANSHIPLIKE CONDUCT OR FAILURE TO ABIDE BY THE OFFICIAL’S DECISION. THE EJECTED PLAYER MUST IMMEDIATELY LEAVE THE PREMISES AND IS SUSPENDED AS BELOW:
SUSPENSION – AN EJECTED PLAYER IS AUTOMATICALLY SUSPENDED FOR TWO GAMES AND MAY NOT SHOW UP FOR THE NEXT 2 GAMES THAT HIS/HER TEAM (S) ACTUALLY PLAYS IN ALL SPORTS. SUSPENDED PLAYERS ARE AUTOMATICALLY PLACED ON PROBATION FOR THE REMAINDER OF THAT SEASON. PLAYERS ARE AUTOMATICALLY OUT FOR THE SEASON OR PERMANENTLY FOR STARTING A PHYSICIAL CONFRONTATION, DEPENDING ON THE DECISION OF THE COMMISSIONER, BOARD OF DIRECTORS, AND/OR THE COMMITTEE ON CONDUCT.
SECOND EJECTION RULE – PLAYERS EJECTED TWICE IN ONE SEASON, REGARDLESS OF LEAGUE, DIVISION OR SPORT, WILL BE SUSPENDED FROM PARTICIPATION FOR THE REMAINDER OF THAT SEASON. THEIR REINSTATEMENT IS NOT AUTOMATIC. SEE BELOW:
SEASON SUSPENSIONS – PLAYERS SUSPENDED FOR ONE SEASON MUST SUBMIT A WRITTEN REQUEST TO THE LEAGUE COMMISSIONER FOR PERMISSION TO PLAY IN THE LEAGUE THE FOLLOWING SEASON. THE REQUEST WILL BE CONSIDERED AND A WRITTEN DECISION, FROM THE COMMITTEE, WILL BE MAILED TO HIM/HER.
REINSTATEMENT OF TWICE EJECTED PLAYERS – THE CAPTAIN OF SUCH EJECTED PLAYERS MUST CALL THE LEAGUE COMMISSIONER TO REVIEW THE STATUS OF SUCH PLAYER AND FIND OUT WHEN HE/SHE WILL BE REINSTATED. THE LEAGUE COMMISSIONER, UPON THE ADVISE OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS &/OR COMMITTEE ON CONDUCT, DETEREMINES THE TERMS OF THE SUSPENSION AND REINSTATEMENT OF SUSPENDED PLAYERS. THE SUSPENDED PLAYER MAY NOT PARTICIPATE UNTIL THE LEAGUE COMMISSIONER HAS APPROVED REINSTATEMENT.
AUTOMATIC “POOR” SPORTSMANSHIP FORFEIT” – THE OFFICIAL HAS THE AUTHORITY TO CALL A GAME “FORFEITED”, AT ANY TIME, FOR UNSPORTSMANSLIKE BEHAVIOR OF A PLAYER (S), TEAM OR SPECTATOR (S).
ALL INDIVIDUALS WHO PARTICIPATE IN THE LANDAU LAWYERS LEAGUE MUST FOLLOW THE ABOVE STANDARDS. THE PURPOSE OF THE LEAGUE IS TO PROVIDE AN ENVIRONMENT OF FUN AND RECREATION FOR EVERYONE.
THE LANDAU LAWYERS LEAGUE HAS FINAL SAY IN ALL DISCIPILINARY MATTERS.
ELIGIBILITY OF PARTICIPANTS
Attorneys are eligible to play on any team in the League.
“Free Agents” are attorneys who desire to play and are not on a team.
“Attorney” Status is granted to: A) Law School Graduates B) Current Law Students
Paid employees, 18 years or older, may only play with the firm for which they work. (Firm Sponsored Team)
Upon leaving a firm, employees MAY CONTINUE to play with their “OLD” firm for the remainder of THAT SEASON. Once the season ends, they may only play with their new firm and must complete a NEW Waiver.
Staff employed by a firm, other than the Firm Sponsored Team, may play “under the umbrella” of an attorney
from their own firm IF: 1) The attorneys’ and employees’ names appear on their Team’s Membership List.
2) Attorneys must play in at least 1 games to validate their employee’s eligibility
Two or more firms may combine as a “CO-SPONSORED” Team, if eligibility rules are followed.
Teams are ineligible to play until all fees are PAID IN FULL.
LANDAU LAWYERS LEAGUE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REFUSE PARTICIPATION OF PLAYERS
OR ANY TEAM AT THE DISCRETION OF LEAGUE COMMISSIONER OR BOARD OF DIRECTORS
1. Smoking, drinking & drugs are PROHIBITED at every facility—including parking lots.
2. Because the permit expires 5 minutes after the last game, teams must leave the premises immediately after play.
3. Team members must read and abide by the attached PLAYER CODE OF CONDUCT. Any player violating a rule in the PLAYER CODE OF CONDUCT will be subject to suspension for two games or expulsion from the League.
4. Ejected players must leave the premises immediately! This player will be automatically SUSPENDED for a minimum of two games.
5. NO REFUND of League Fees.
6. Problems with school/parks will be handled by OFFICIALS- not Captains or players.
1. Each team must provide a linesman. Linesman can rotate into the game once they are replaced by another linesman.
2. Captains must sign the CAPTAINS VERIFICATION on the sign-in sheet for all players present at the time of the coin toss. In addition, captains are responsible for verifying late players at the end of the game.
3. Signing in is mandatory. Upon entering a game, a player not signed in will cause his/her team to be assessed a minus 1 point per player and side out to the opposing team. Warming up, changing clothes, etc. may occur after players sign in.
4. Both teams must bring a leather regulation-sized volleyball, meeting high-school federation regulations to each game. The official will decide which ball is to be used as the game ball. LLL is not responsible for lost balls.
ONLY NON-SCUFFING SHOES ARE ALLOWED - No formal uniforms are required.
5. No jewelry is to be worn; this includes stud earrings and wedding rings.
PRIOR TO THE START OF THE MATCH AND AT THE END OF THE MATCH, all players must start behind the back line and proceed forward to greet the opponents at the net.
6. A coin toss decides who serves first in game #1. Thereafter, losers of the coin toss will serve first in game #2. An additional coin toss will decide who serves first in the deciding game #3. Note: coin toss winner can choose which side they defend or serve.
7. A Match consists of 3 games - all games are played. Winning two of the three games = Winning the Match. Time permitting and at the Officials discretion, a "friendship" game may be played, after a Match is won.
8. RALLY SCORING WILL BE USED. First team to 21 points (win by 2) wins the game. RALLY SCORING is where a point is scored on each serve (i.e. Your team does not need to serve to score with the exception of the final point of the game. Therefore your team will need to serve to win a game). Teams have 50 minutes to complete the match (all 3 games). ALL MATCHES ARE TIMED. NO EXCEPTIONS!
9. NO GRACE PERIOD! All games begin at the schedule game time. Teams not prepared to play after 5 minutes will LOSE the first game. Teams not prepared to play after 10 minutes will lose the Match and a Friendship game will be played.
10. The service line will be the end line. Server must be behind the line when serving.
11. Ball is “in” if it touches any part of the boundary line or hits the net and goes over while staying in bounds.
12. A ball is “out of bounds” if it touches the volleyball standard, wall, ceiling, lights, etc.
13. Each player serves, in turn, and continues to serve until “side out” or game is over. If the ball hits the net on a serve and stays on the server’s side, goes “out of bounds”, or touches a teammate before going over the net, then “side is out” and the opposing team serves.
14. When team regains serve, they shall rotate 1 position clockwise before serving.
15. Server must serve from behind the restraining line (end line) until after contact.
16. Ball may be served underhand or overhand.
17. The ball may hit the net and the ball remains playable if it continues to the other side inbounds.
18. Maximum of three hits per side.
19. The ball MUST be hit with the hands or forearms, THE BALL MUST BE CLEANLY HIT! NO CARRYING!
20. Any ball that comes in contact with a player’s body above and including the waist, which does not allow the ball to visibly come to a rest, is a legal hit. NOTE: You may not use your feet.
21. Player may not hit the ball twice in succession. (A block is not considered a hit).
22. Ball may be played off the net during a volley.
23. A ball touching a boundary line is good.
24. If two or more players contact the ball simultaneously, it is considered one play and the players involved may not participate in the next play.
25. Switching positions will be allowed only between front line players. (Only after the serve).
26. A ball remains "in play" if it is hit off a bump (not from a serve) and hits any object on the SAME side as long as the team has at least 1 hit remaining. A ball is “out of bounds” if it touches an object on the opponent's side.
27. Stepping on or over the line on a serve – point and “sideout”.
28. Failure to serve the ball over the net successfully – point and “sideout”.
29. Hitting the ball illegally (Carrying, Palming, etc.). - point or point and “sideout”.
30. Touching the net with any part of the body while the ball is in play – point or point and “side out”.
Exception: If the ball is driven into the net with such force that it causes the net to contact an opposing player, no foul will be called, and the ball shall continue to be in play.
31. Reaching over the net – point or point and “sideout”.
32. Reaches under the net (if it interferes with the ball or opposing player) – point or point and “sideout”.
33. Failure to serve in the correct order – point or point and “sideout”.
34. Blocks or spikes from a position which is clearly not behind the 10-foot line while in a back row position – point or point and “sideout”.
A Match is the best two of three “official” games. For a game to be “official,” each team must begin the game with 3 players, one of whom is an attorney. The fourth player must show before the beginning of the second game. Winning two out of three games constitutes a Match.
POINTS TOWARD LEAGUE STANDINGS
WIN == 2 POINTS AWARDED
LOSS = 0 POINT AWARDED
“NO SHOW & NO CALL” = -2 POINTS DEDUCTED IF NO CALL IS MADE TO OFFICE &/OR OPPONENT.
Records of all Tournament teams will be compared after the fourth week of play. #1 Seeded Team will play #2 Seeded Team for the Championship while #3 Seeded Team will play #4 Seeded Team in a Consolation game.
GRIEVANCES AND PROTESTS
1. Only CAPTAINS may consult Officials to discuss rules, to lodge a complaint, or to protest. Players should voice their concerns through their captains. REMINDER: Judgement calls can not be protested!
2. Problems with schools/park officials will be handled only by OFFICIALS – not Captains or players.
STANDINGS & RECOGNITION
Weekly recognition of Team Standings and Player of the Game (POG) will be featured in the Daily Journal and on LLL’s website. Printing all information legibly on the sign-in sheets is required to guarantee correct information.
LLL Sports Towels will be awarded to the top team of the Winter 2012 Volleyball Tournament.
A “Phil Landau Sportsmanship” Award will be presented to the most deserving player, at the option of the Official.
Thank you for your cooperation. We look forward to seeing you on the court.